Thursday, November 16, 2006

Another Workshop Proposal

Well, having survived the experience of putting together a joint proposal to do a workshop for RWA's annual conference, I struck out on my own this week and proposed to do an online workshop for Outreach International (http://www.oirw.net/campus.htm).

I've taken a number of classes through Outreach International in the past and liked the idea of doing my first workshop for them. I read the "Call for Proposals" on Sunday, whipped out an email in about an hour and shipped it off.

The coordinator came back to me with some questions. After an exchange of four or five emails, we had a finished proposal.

Like the proposal for RWA, it will be some time before I get a yea or nay on the thing. However, since both proposals are for the latter half of 2007, I can wait.

Have I told you how much I love to teach workshops? Back when I was in graduate school, I earned extra money by doing workshops on crisis intervention. A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I actually did two days of training for the Dallas SWAT team. I created crisis simulations in which the cops would try to talk me down from committing suicide or homicide. More than once over that two days, the officers involved complained that I did "crazy" way too well.

We all have our talents. The trick is finding a way to put them to good use.

No comments: