Monday, November 20, 2006

The Power of the People

I spent a very satisfying hour on Monday morning, contacting Fox Network and then my local Fox affiliate to voice my dissatisfaction with the O.J. Simpson "special." I then contacted four sponsors of my local Fox affiliate: two national (Fisher Price and AT&T) and two local (a grocery chain and a car dealership). It was very interesting to me to find that, when I spoke to a live person (as opposed to a recording), the two people I spoke with immediately said, "I agree. I'll pass your message along, and I may make some calls of my own."

I had a number of errands to run on Monday afternoon and came home to find that lots of individuals like myself were contacting Fox. More importantly, Fox sponsors were contacting Fox.

By now, you've heard the news. Rupert Murdoch has pulled both the ill-advised book and the even more ill-advised television special.

When people bond together for a common cause, things do happen.

It's my hope that O.J. will crawl back under a rock. However, I expect it's far more likely that he will self-publish his book and try to capitalize on all the publicity.

No comments: